On the face of it, they seem to work well. I've built a 100-page site in less than 10 minutes: Management DataVault. But there are two problems with these systems:
- Some article directories are stopping the automated "scraping" of their sites
- There is evidence that search engines such as Google are able to detect and ban such sites.
Recently, I've taken the plunge and invested a large monthly sum to become one of the 400 Charter Members of "Content Desk". This is a huge set of resources which automates the process of building content-filled websites, but with a few significant differences from "scraper" software:
- Articles are pulled from Content Desk's own vast directory of articles
- The system can be automated so that new articles are added at regular intervals
- Article summaries can automatically be posted to blogs
- .. and quite a lot more
You can find information on Content Desk and its Chartered Membership here. Since membership is restricted to 400 people, I don't know if there are any vacancies when this entry is read.